Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why should you attend other harp concerts?

Music concerts aren't always the most interesting. You have to sit so stiffly and be absolutely silent, sometimes the pieces are ridiculously long, and sometimes you don't really understand why anyone would decide we needed a 3 movement concerto for some obscure instrument. But harp concerts are important for reasons other than just listening to the music. This is where you can learn about the kind of harpist you want to be.

It took me a long time to realize that I shouldn't be listening to harp CDs or recitals so that I could imitate them. I finally realized, that I could pick and choose, like photoshopping my own musical style together from 6 different musicians. I don't like how some harpists play their dynamics, and I do like how other harpists stretch and push their music. One of the best lessons I ever learned was that it's OK to dislike how another harpist plays. Especially when you're either young or new to harp, it's hard to cut off the part of your mind that assumes that all adults always know what they're doing and are always right. And disliking a musician's playing style doesn't mean what they're doing is wrong. It's like if you dislike the color purple, and it's my favorite color.

Try going to harp concerts and listening to CDs. See how it shapes how you would like to sound. And of course, don't limit yourself to only harpists. I think I learned the most about putting emotion in my music from Itzhak Perlman's recording of the famous Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. See what's out there, and you'll be surprised by how much you learn about yourself. Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment